Big News: the Walk is Going Online!
The IG Wealth Management Walk for Alzheimer’s is Canada’s biggest fundraiser for Alzheimer’s disease and other dementias, taking place in more than 400 communities across the country. In 2019, Canadians participating in the Walk raised an amazing $6.2 million.
When Covid-19 hit, it became clear that this year’s Walks would sadly not be “business as usual”.
However, thanks to the ingenuity, creativity and dedication of Alzheimer’s Societies across Canada and our national presenting sponsor, IG Wealth Management, the Walk continues in 2020 in an innovative new online format!
On May 31st, people from all ages and walks of life will gather together for the 2020 IG Wealth Management Walk for Alzheimer’s – ONLINE edition!
When will it happen?
Sunday, May 31st beginning at 12PM.
Where will it happen?
In the safety of their living rooms, backyards, and kitchens from coast-to-coast, Canadians of all ages who have been impacted by dementia will strap on step counters, Fit Bits and smartphones and challenge themselves to ‘step up’ for families living dementia.
How can participants get involved?
1. Register online by clicking here(choose your nearest event to ensure funds raised stay in your community!)
2. Fundraise ahead of the Walk by sending a virtual pledge form to friends and family and posting on social media
3. Brainstorm a unique way to participate in the Walk (ex. TikTok, phone calls, walking the dog, costumes)
How will funds raised impact families living with dementia in our community?
When Covid-19 struck, the urgent and significant need of individuals and families living with dementia in our community became more evident than ever before.
In response, the dedicated staff at the Alzheimer Society of Brant, Haldimand Norfolk, Hamilton Halton sprang into action, implementing innovative services that enabled them to continue acting as a lifeline for over 12,000 people served annually by the organization.
– Over 100 hand-assembled ‘Activity Kits’ have already been mailed to families struggling to provide their loved ones with meaningful recreation and stimulation at home, more will come!
– Education sessions on a variety of topics have moved online, giving families the opportunity to learn in the comfort of their home
– Online support groups were initiated to support caregivers struggling without at-home respite care
– Handmade ‘fidget quilts’ designed to support the cognitive health of people living with dementia were donated to local long term care homes
– Counsellors are conducting regular telephone sessions to support individuals and families
– ‘Sit to Be Fit’ virtual chair exercise classes are now offered on Facebook Live three times a week
These are the types of vital programs and services that are funded by the IG Wealth Management Walk for Alzheimer’s.
The need has never been greater, and our Society is counting on the creativity and dedication of our community to make this year’s online Walk a success story for the books!